Wednesday 8 February 2012

Second Day Back

Second day back to work (TAFE), still exhausted but had a good day. I have my first full teaching day on Friday but the small amount of time I've spent talking to the students in the classroom I already know I'm going to have difficulty hearing them.
I've asked my work to purchase an FM system for me to use. These are used in schools for deaf children where the teacher wears a microphone and the students wear a gadget attached to their hearing aid to amplify the teacher's voice.
In my case, I'll wear the gadget on the back of my processor and the microphone will sit at the front of the classroom facing the students. The microphone will transfer the sound (student's voices) directly to my processor, a bit like Bluetooth.
FM systems are expensive but my work seem to think it's a resonable request so I'm excited to think that I'll have this to help me in the classroom.
The next problem is the phone. I can't use a landline so my option is to rely on email and use a mobile so the students can text me. I'm still working on this one but must admit that it's nice not having to stop working to answer the phone all the time. It's also frustrating not having the use of a phone to make a quick call.
So now I'm just getting ready to take my first teaching session on Friday - stay tuned for a full report.