Thursday 9 August 2012

One year deaf!!!

Today marks one year since my hearing went. I remember the day well, like it was yesterday. I woke up feeling dizzy and out of sorts, like I was getting a cold. I'd had had a root canal the day before so thought that was why I wasn't feeling the best. I was also hearing like I was underwater and I suspected an ear infection. I sent a text to work telling them I was taking the day off sick. By that evening I was in the hospital and it would take a month to be told that my hearing loss was permanent. I still remember clearly my youngest son yelling at me "can you hear me?', and I could only just hear him, like a whisper. Two hours later it was all gone and they would be the last words I heard naturally.
Instead of looking at today as a day to be sad and think of what I've lost, I'm celebrating today as my first birthday, the first of my new life. To some extent my life has changed forever and I've had to assume a new identity but there have been so many positives that have come from my life changing experience. They are both small and large; not hearing my husband snore, being able to get complete silence when I need it, connecting with family and friends that I haven't spoken to in years because they wanted to say how much they cared, making new friends as well, and learning more about coping with disability. I've also learnt so much about the human spirit, both mine and that of others.

So today I'm off to celebrate being deaf! Happy Deaf Birthday to me :)