Tuesday 16 October 2012

Another year gone!!!

Well, tomorrow is my birthday, my 41st birthday in fact. I think the last year has been the most hectic of my entire life; adjusting to my cochlear implant, returning to part time study, full time lecturing (and hasn't that been an adventure!), the kids and husband adjusting to living with a deaf person, the dog and well, just life.
In two days it will be the one year anniversary of my implant surgery. Just those two hours on the surgery table one year ago dramatically changed what my life has become. Imagine if I had decided not to have the surgery (and many people make this decision)? As it turns out, apart from my little daily struggles, my life pretty much went back to normal.
I walked back into my lecturing job (which I love), I still manage my family well (they may not agree with that), I have all the same friends, I still ride my bike, go for runs, go to the beach, I study online, I go to parties and out to dinner ............. in fact I can't really think of many things I want to do that I can't! One thing I can do is turn everything off when I want some quiet. That's the best thing about the implant, I can turn it on and off as it suits me, he he he he he.