Saturday 2 November 2013

A little bit of inspiration via a party

I know how hard parties are for deaf people, cochlear or not. But sometimes you just have to dress up and go out. This is my minion costume for a 50th birthday party I attended last night. And these are my strategies for surviving a party:



- Distract yourself with the food. Take small portions so you can go back many times. This gives you    an excuse to leave a conversation if you can't hear it. 
- Do the same with the drinks, only fill your cup up half way so you can go back for a refill often.
- Offer to get other people drinks as well, this has the added bonus of making you look considerate.
- Try to talk about topics you know well so you can follow the conversation on guess work. I use movies and travel.
- Obvious but don't stand next to the music speakers!
- Smile, laugh and be really friendly, move around a lot, dance. This makes you look like the life of the party even if you have no idea what's going on.

If I can do it, you can too, good luck!


Minion image copyright Universal Studios