Thursday 28 November 2013

I did it!! I have a second cochlear implant!

Yes, it's true, I have a second cochlear implanted in my right ear. While I did experience a bit of pain after this operation (unlike the first one), 24 hours after the surgery I was fine. The bandage around my head was very tight and this meant I couldn't wear my first cochlear so I had to spend my time in the hospital deaf. The skill of lipreading never goes out of style! The bandage came off the morning after sugery and the relief was instant, it was so tight it caused me to have a headache. The wound site is a bit itchy and I'm a little light headed but otherwise I'm doing well. The important thing is to rest at this point (something I'm not good at) and let the wound heal and my body recover from the surgery.

An hour before surgery, standing outside ESIA.
About to walk into surgery.


Four hours after surgery, feeling OK.

Bandage has come off my head, wound behind my ear.