Friday 9 March 2012

Can you see me?

My parents delight in telling a story of when I was little. It's not that funny but I asked, if I shut my eyes can you still see me? Well, this has become more of a reality for me lately as I struggle to hear people I can't see. My husband doesn't get it but I really can't hear unless I can see people. I'm still using visual cues and lip reading and even if someone is close to me but standing behind me, I can't hear them. As a result, I'm now worried about going blind! Don't laugh. I was always worried about going totally deaf and that happened.
I was talking to a friend yesterday who is having trouble with her hearing in one ear. She asked me why she had trouble understanding people when she couldn't see them clearly. I imagine that hearing people use visual cues just as much but don't realise it until they have to rely on them.