Sunday 8 April 2012

Travel

My next deaf adventure is a trip overseas. Technically, a trip to Bali isn't overseas to Perth people, it's just up the road, but I still have to navigate the airport at both ends.
As a cochlear implant is an electronic device it needs to be turned off during take-off and landing. This doesn't bother me much as I have the family there and they will tap me if there is anything I need to pay attention to. It's walking through the security gates that will be interesting. I know I'm going to set them off and I'll have to produce my cochlear implant identification card and have a scan etc etc. I hate setting the security gates off as everyone looks and stares and you become 'suspicious'. I'm hoping that the customs guards recognise how hard it is to store drugs or weapons in your skull and let me through quickly. I will report on my return visit.