Monday 21 May 2012

Fitness for the Deaf

Another challenge today, personal fitness training, in a gym, a noisy gym. My work runs a personal fitness program every semester so for six weeks I can get flogged by a trainer in the gym.
While everyone else throws on their gym gear and hits the treadmill, I go through a deaf preparation routine.

Headband to put CI in? Check.
Spare battery in case I got flat? Check.
FM charged? Check.

So I head into the gym and the first thing I hear is the loud music. I don't know what the song is or the type of music, but I know it's music and I know it's loud. So I put the FM on and attach the microphone to my trainer and suddenly all I can hear is her. The FM cancels out the music and I just hear my trainer, clear as day, telling me to do four more push-ups. Hmmmm, maybe it's better that I don't hear her after all!