Monday 2 December 2013

Five Days Post Op

Five days after my operation and I'm only just starting to feel normal again. Here is my medical update:


  • I have mild pain, like an ear-ache but it's not too bad today and easy to manage with a few over-the-counter pain killers. Sometimes I get a stabbing pain in the ear.
  • I'm tired but not in a sleepy kind of way, more like my body is tired and for that matter so is my brain. 
  • I'm not driving because I still feel a bit dizzy and light headed. Really light headed actually.
  • My ear is still swollen and provides my kids with endless amusement because the swelling causes my ear to stick out. My other ear is close to my head so the contrast is obvious and no, I'm not providing photos.
  • Sleeping at night is a bit of a pain, literally, as I can't roll onto my right side so it's either my left side or on my back. OK, this isn't that bad, just mildly annoying, but in the interests of putting it all out there, my sleep is slightly disturbed.
  • I keep forgetting I can't blow my nose until I try and do it and then have to jump around with the pain. I've got wadding stuffed down my ear canal and as you can imagine it is not pleasant sneezing or blowing my nose!
  • I got to wash my hair today! Yay! And wash the dried blood off the back of my ear! Yay! 


That's the medical stuff but here's the psychological stuff:


  • People keep saying that the second cochlear operation is easier because I know what to expect but I haven't found that to be the case for me. The first time I was totally deaf and didn't hear or notice alot of what was going on around me. This time, I have a cochlear on the other side so I can hear. For some reason this has been more stressful. I think maybe people expect more of me because I can hear already. They forget how much effort is needed to "hear" with a cochlear and this has made the operation and recovery more difficult. Of course it could also be because I'm getting old .........