Wednesday 23 November 2011

Mapping

I had my second mapping appointment today which means I had a tune-up. Each time this happens voices are a little more clearer. People are starting to lose the chipmunk sound now and they sound more like themselves. Voices are still a little high pitched but still clear. My audi tells me that sounds will always have a robotic sound but over time will sound more natural. I have to remind myself that I'm not hearing with my ears (like using a hearing aid), I'm using an electronic device to send electical impulses directly to my brain. That still spins me out. If I can't hear someone clearly, instead of saying, "talk in my ear", I'll say "talk in my microphone".

I've attended two work meetings (I chaired one) over the last two days and I've understood about 98% of what people have said. Sometimes I have to ask people to repeat what they've said but even hearing people do this. I've been singled sided deaf all my life, so I usually miss bits and pieces anyway. With the CI on I feel comfortable and confident communicating in the work environment.

I also went for a run this morning with my CI (Lucy) on. While I felt more confident being able to hear, I couldn't work out what most of the sounds were. Animal sounds are the hardest to work out as I usually can't identify the animal or where they are. Birds are very difficult. Car engines on the other hand are very clear and I can identify a car horn.

Hearing with the CI takes a lot of concentration and effort and I am very tired at the end of each day. I've decided that a weekly massage is a good hearing reward, starting tomorrow!