Saturday 26 November 2011

Milestones

Two and a half weeks since switch on and I've nearly ticked off all my hearing milestones. This weekend I watched a movie on the TV without text. I have to be hooked up to the TV using my audio cord which means that nobody can watch the movie with me because the sound is directed straight to the CI. I've also watched a movie at an outdoor theatre and while I didn't get all the dialogue, I got enough to follow the storyline and enjoy the movie (OK, it was a kids movie but small steps people). 

I also heard the phone ring yesterday! It rang and I just stood there watching it, not knowing what to do with it. Do I answer and risk not hearing and hang up on the person? I let it go to the answering machine but low and behold, I heard the message too!!!

I also went to the shopping centre with my eldest son to get some shoes for him. As we were looking in a shop, two retail assistants smiled at us and I smiled back. When we left the shop my son said "that lady in the shop must think you're really rude because she asked you how you were and you ignored her".  I had to explain that he now had to listen for me and either tell me what people say or explain to them that I can't hear well. He's really embarrassed to do either. Early days.