Wednesday 9 November 2011

Switch On

Today was switch on where the audiologist turned my computer on. As soon as she turned it on and everyone started talking at me I burst out laughing. I couldn't help myself. Everyone sounded like chipmunks with their little high pitched squeeky voices. I was expecting Darth Vader, not the chipmunks! As expected, I could hear what my family were saying. The first thing I heard was my husband asking "do you want sushi for dinner?". To which I replied "yes!".
It's a very robotic sound but not so unpleasant that I want to take the processor off. I can only hear people when they stand in front of me and talk slowly and clearly. I can't hear anything or anyone more than a metre away but that's enough to have a conversation.
I have been given a suitcase full of accessories including batteries, cables, a travel case, a dry-store case, charging station, covers for the processor, spare wires and various little spare accessories for the processor.
The back of my ear (the surgery scar) is a bit sore after wearing the processor for the last two hours so I'm letting it just dangle at the back of my ear for the moment.
My youngest son has spent the last three months signing and speaking so I can lip-read him, so I've had to remind him several times to talk to me.
So far, I'd have to say, so good.
........and it's on!