Tuesday 27 December 2011

Christmas

Merry Christmas!!
My first deaf Christmas, easily one of the noisiest times of the year. The positive is that most of the noise is excited screaming from children and happy chatter from the adults. I don't think Christmas would be the same for me without the noise that comes with it.
I even tried putting on some Christmas music. Music, especially instrumental, sounds dreadful to me. I endured several Christmas carols until the kids, thank God, turned it off in favour of cartoons on the TV.
When the kids are busy watching TV this gives me the opportunity to turn my CI off for a little silence. As I mentioned before, my tinnitus is all but gone and the wind noise that made life difficult in the early days has gone as well. This means that when I turn my processor off I experience dead silence, total deafness. There are times, at the end of the day or when reading, when total silence is a blessing. It seems strange that I can turn my hearing on and off when I please. At least I can turn it back on!!!!!