Thursday 15 December 2011

Kids

Yesterday the kids and I were interviewed for a short teaching video on communication difficulties at Edith Cowan University. The speech therapist conducting the interview asked Jaxon (12 years) what the difference was between before I went deaf, and now that I have the cochlear implant. He said there was no difference, I'd been able to hear him, then I couldn't, now I can. A simple admission like that reminds me that having the surgery was well worth it. Being deaf was very difficult for the kids. Having the cochlear implant, for them, means everything is back to normal. Nobody sees the constant struggle I go through every day to be a deaf person with a cochlear implant. It dominates every part of my day from the minute I wake up to the minute I take it off at night to go to sleep. Most importantly, the kids don't see that struggle, as far as they are concerned, mum is back to normal!