Friday 16 September 2011

The Frustrating Bits

I have only just joined the world of the profoundly deaf. Up to this point I had enough hearing in my left ear to get by in the hearing world, most of the time without people even knowing I had a hearing impairment. Now, things are different. I'm not part of the hearing world but I'm not part of the deaf world either, I don't know any deaf people who live in Perth. That is the most frustrating bit, trying to establish a new identity, a sense of belonging.

This is what I've had to do to connect with my family and friends: I've had to learn to lipread very quickly, this is easy if I know the person well and I know the topic we are talking about. I've got notepads all over the house, my eldest son (11 years) and husband (can't mention his age) use these but it can be frustrating for them writing everything down. My youngest son (6 years) uses a combination of AUSLAN signs and his own made up signs. He also writes things down when the situation requires it. He knows I'm deaf but that doesn't stop him from chatting away, I have no idea what he is talking about but I love that he does that. Being a mum I know how to pretend I'm listening when I'm really not, this skill has come in very handy but doesn't work on the eldest, he's on to me. I use my phone to text my friends. Most people have a mobile phone these days so that part is easy.
My all-time favourite communication tool? The Ipad (free plug for Apple). I carry it around with me everywhere (with a wireless keyboard) and use a number of different apps like notebook and whiteboard. This has been great in cafes, when friends come over to visit, and during medical appointments. The other good thing is I can read over the conversation later if needed (my memory is not that good since my hearing went). Saving up for the iphone next!!