Sunday 25 September 2011

"How are the kids doing?"

The question I'm most asked since I went deaf is "how are the kids going?"
My children are 6 years old and 11 years old, both boys. The youngest responded quickly to my deafness by learing some signs from AUSLAN (Australian sign language) using an app I found on itunes. He is a very expressive child and while I can't lip read him (he is missing three top teeth) I can usually work out what he is communicating just by his signs, facial expression and body language. He is also very affectionate and gives me many kisses and cuddles. He has, however, started to bite his nails. I assume this is a symptom of stress and it concerns me.
The eldest has withdrawn from me. He is a quiet child at the best of times! He doesn't sign (only one: food) and will only write things down when he REALLY needs to communicate with me. He hates to go out in public with me as he hates it when I don't hear people and he thinks they think I'm rude.
I can't help him as much with his homework so he has had to manage this on his own, this is a little stressful as he is in his last year of primary school.
I understand now how difficult it is for deaf people to maintain relationships with people who are hearing, even family members.
So, the kids are OK, but they would be better if mum could hear them.