Thursday 29 September 2011

Cause of my hearing loss.

Today I went to see my ENT doctor to discuss my cochlear implant surgery and get the results from the MRI and CAT scans. I have been diagnosed with vestibular aqueduct syndrome, a genetic syndrome that causes sudden deafness. This explains my profound deafness in my right ear when I was four years old and the sudden loss of hearing in my left ear at 39 years old. This syndrome is passed on from both parents who carry the recessive gene and the hearing loss occurs after birth, usually due to trauma to the head.
Next step is to have the cochlear implant surgery in order to restore some hearing in the left ear so I can participate in family, social and work life as normal. The surgery is three weeks from now at a private hospital in Perth. I've chosen my implant, Cochlear Nucleus and have chosen some groovy zebra stripe covers for it.
Waiting for the MRI