Friday 23 September 2011

Where to from here?

I received a letter in the mail yesterday from my audiologist advising that I meet the criteria for a cochlear implant in my left ear (my right ear didn't meet the criteria and it's feeling rejected). I've since done a bit of research on the success rate of cochlear implants and it seems that this could be a good option for me. I'm not keen on having a device put in my head and wearing the processor behind my ear for the rest of my life, but I'm also keen to hear my kids laugh again and my husband say "I love you".
I still have my speech and I still have a "sound memory", so the sooner I can have the implant, the sooner my brain can start adjusting. I have appointments next week to determine my surgery date and which implant I'll get but at this stage it looks like I'm getting the Freedom from Cochlear as the Nucleus has been recalled.
I know I'll never get my hearing back but I'm looking forward to being a part of the hearing community again.