Sunday 18 September 2011

Party Hard!

I'm writing a bit bleary-eyed today because I went to my first "post hearing loss" party last night. It was a friend's 50th birthday party and wow, did he and his wife put on a great party. Food, wine, music, open fire and plenty of people to enjoy it. Luckily, I only knew a few people there and they were close friends, all aware of my hearing impairment. This meant I didn't have to make small talk and pretend I had any idea what people were talking about on too many occasions. The girlfriends I hung around with were easy to lip-read. Their husbands on the other hand both had heavy Irish accents and I couldn't lip-read them to save my life. Does that make sense? No, not really. The difficult part of the night was when they got the music going and everybody was dancing. I could hear a muffled base beat but I had no idea what the song was and wasn't really inspired to dance. I tried, but felt awkward. I really miss music.