Tuesday 4 October 2011

Eating Out

It's now the October school holidays and the start of my family's birthday month.

We have celebrated my brother's birthday at a vegetarian cafe in Northbridge called Utopia where everything on the menu is vegetarian, even the beef. Going out to eat at a restaurant is the most difficult activity for me (after work meetings). It's OK if I'm dining with one person as I can usually lip-read them or we use the ipad. Any more than one and it's like I'm not really there. I feel almost like a ghost, watching people but not able to interact with them. I can't join in their conversation as I don't know what they are talking about and I don't know when there is a break in the conversation to have my turn speaking anyway. So I busy myself with the menu, play with my mobile phone, look around at other people in the restaurant and go to the toilet ..................... what else can I do????

Today it is my youngest son's birthday. He turns seven today! He wants to see a movie which is fine and I'm looking forward to taking him except I know that movies don't come with subtitles. I'll have to make a note to lobby the cinema industry to have special screenings of new movies for deaf people with subtitles. Maybe I can get away with taking a book?