Sunday 1 January 2012

Days Ahead

During the past five months I've had good days and bad days. I usually have a few bad days per week and I have to make an effort to lift myself out of them. I guess it's a process of mourning for my own personal loss. This week however, I haven't had any bad days and I've stayed generally happy so I'm encouraged that I've come through the worst.
I still have little daily struggles and I'm still learning how to live as a deaf person with a cochlear implant. My family are also learning.
On my way to the supermarket yesterday my eldest son says to me, "I have a tip for you mum, when you get to the register, look at the person serving you and watch their lips because they usually talk to you and you ignore them". Yeh, thanks for that.
So, we get to the register and both boys are ready, the eldest says, "now watch" and the youngest is quiet standing next to me ready to tap my arm when I'm spoken to (that's his regular strategy but he doesn't even realise he does it). Sorry to say, it works, the person at the register asks me how I am and I respond like a hearing person. While I appreciate my kids helping me out with my new disability it does sometimes make me feel a little helpless, a little like a child.