Monday 23 July 2012

Goal Setting

Since going deaf I've been in a rush to get through my life goals. Mostly they involve study and travel so this semester I have enrolled in a Masters of Education course. I thought that if I studied online it would be easier to cope with the deafness and largely, it has been. There are a few online videos that I need to watch but with my audio cord and the ipad I'm able to hook myself up and hear the videos clearly. The problem I'm having is that my brain seems to work a little slower since going deaf so it takes me a split second (give or take one or two) more to understand what is being said. It's like I hear everything a bit after it's actually said, like a delay. Almost like living my life on Skype!
This afternoon my son asked me a question. I heard it but didn't understand so I waited a bit (while he stared at me) and sure enough three seconds later it came to me, I understood and answered him. I wonder if the cochlear actually hears in real-time or if there is a delay. Nah, just my poor old brain trying to keep up with the world. Bring on the study I say!