Wednesday 4 July 2012

Remember Me

My husband is studying at university this year and I'm helping him with his essays. Yesterday, after getting out of the shower I had a few ideas for his introduction for his current essay and rattled it all off. My hair was wet so I didn't have my ear in but that hasn't ever stopped me from talking. So after giving him the gems of my wisdom I was satisfied that we had a good introduction to get started.
Later that evening we both sat down to work on the essay but I struggled to remember a single thing I had said. Usually I've got a good memory for details but I was shocked that I couldn't remember a single thing. I had no idea what I'd said. Steve wasn't much help, he doesn't remember anything I say anyway! It took me until the next day to realise that I couldn't remember my own speech because I didn't hear it in the first place! I didn't really realise how important it is for the brain to HEAR to remember. I haven't until now considered that the cochlear implant gives me more than just hearing, it gives me understanding and memory as well! Valuable little thing.