Saturday 15 October 2011

Musings

I've been rather reflective this past week, my last week in my thirties. I'v been waiting for the "devastation" of losing my hearing to come, but it hasn't. Yes, I've been a bit down, but generally I'm as happy as ever, despite nearly turning the big 40. I've proven to myself that I don't need my hearing to function as I did before, yes, it's harder, but not impossible.

Last night I had a small gathering, the inner-circle and family, for a birthday celebration for the two boys and I. It was wonderful seeing everyone and the kids had a ball with their friends. My eldest had a few mates sleep over after the party. Husband tells me they talked all night, I didn't hear a thing and had a blissful sleep. It was also a great lip-reading environment, not one pad or pen in sight!

 I shopped for the party (driving again as of yesterday thank goodness) and I'm sure that not one of the shop assistants had any idea that I couldn't hear a thing they were saying. Even the deli man chatted away while I bought ice and I just nodded and said "really" and it seemed to be the right response!!

Then I was up at 6am to head off to the local flea market with a friend. I just asked stall holders to hold up their fingers to show me how much things were. I got some great designer pieces for a few dollars each.

Tonight I am heading out for an intimate dinner with my husband. Tomorrow it's off for breakfast and a shopping trip to Tiffanys, thanks to my generous friends and family for your contribution to the "Tiffany Fund".

I read on other people's blogs that they become socially isolated when they lose their hearing, I'd say the opposite has happened to me. I've had more invites and requests to visit over the last three months than ever before in my life.

Life doesn't need to change, just tweaked. x