Thursday 20 October 2011

Post Surgery

Well, I've done it! Had the cochlear implant and come out the other end!
Surgery was simple, walked into the operating theatre, jumped up on the table and went to sleep. Woke up a couple of hours later with my head wrapped tightly in a huge bandage with a tuft of hair sticking out the top. Not much pain but got bad nausea which I had heaps of medication for. I had the nausea for about 20 hours before it got any better. My jaw is a bit sore but nothing too major. The vertigo is sticking around but I have medication for that too, not sure that's it's working. 

My residual hearing is gone, beforehand I could hear the dog bark, doors slam, that sort of thing. Now I hear nothing, nothing at all. Thanks goodness I learnt to lipread otherwise I'd be in real trouble. My youngest son asked last night "can you hear me now"? I had to say no.

Otherwise, things are going well and it's just a matter of waiting for the next step. x
Not my best look!