Saturday 8 October 2011

Tribute to Friends and Family

It has now been three months since I lost my hearing. It has been at times frustrating, tiring and depressing. However, by far the most overwhelming part of my experience has been the kindness, thoughtfulness and generosity of the people around me. I underestimated how wonderful people can be.


In the first month my house was filled with flowers and chocolate. These were lovely and I enjoyed the sensory pleasure of having my house filled with beautiful blooms and the other sensory pleasure of stuffing my face with chocolate. I also had people drop off meals for the family and bring presents like whiteboards, magazines, books and DVDs. As I couldn't drive (vertigo) I had friends offer to take the kids to school and back and then they would take me out for a coffee as well.
As word got out about my hearing loss I recieved cards and emails from people sending me their best wishes for a positive outcome. These came from family members, work colleagues, the Principal of my children's school, my parent's friends, the soccer club where my son plays, school mums, friends I haven't seen for years, and even ex-boyfriends. My family were there every day, in one form or another. Either offering to drive me to medical appointments, buying me gifts, just visiting, and emailing every day to keep me connected.

I also contacted some people online in the same situation as me and they have been very supportive and understanding, having already been through what I'm experiencing now.

Three months on and I still recieve emails and texts from people checking on how I'm doing. Every week I'll get a text from someone asking how I am. These are people who have their own worries, stresses and families but still have enough time to care about me.


When this all happened I thought I was so unlucky, that the universe was against me. Now I realise that I'm the luckiest person alive and that no matter what happens to me I'm surrounded by people who will take care of me and ensure my happiness.
Thank you x
Cheers to the Ears!